Date(s) - 06/12/2020
8:45 am CDT - 1:45 pm CDT
PLAN is partnering with the Tampa Bay Library Consortium (TBLC), the Northeast Florida Library Information Network (NEFLIN), and the Southeast Florida Library Information Network (SEFLIN) to bring you a virtual conference on how libraries foster resilient communities.
Keynote: Sustainable Thinking for Community Resilience with Rebekkah Smith Aldrich — Library leaders must mobilize to ensure libraries take an active, visible role in building sustainable and resilient communities. Our future depends on citizens who are able to work together with empathy, respect, and understanding to adapt to the many challenges facing society. We will explore the importance of infusing the new core value of sustainability into everything we do, and demonstrate how libraries that lead into the future using “sustainable thinking” fulfill our mission as libraries in new and innovative ways. “Sustainable Thinking” is a concept that aligns the core values of libraries with the “Triple Bottom Line” definition of sustainability (i.e. the intersection of economic feasibility, environmental stewardship and social equity) to inspire investment and build support for your library in the future.
In addition to our keynote presentation, we’ll offer four tracks on resiliency:
- Friends and Support Groups
- Cultivating Networks to Build a Safety Net with Lawrence Webster, Library and Nonprofit Consultant
- Creating a More Resilient Library Budget Through Community Engagement with John Chrastka of EveryLibrary
- Funding Your Library: Collaborating with Friends Groups and Foundations with Pat Wagner of Pattern Search
- Economic Development
- Earning Our Place at the Table: What Librarians Need to Know to Support Entrepreneurship and Economic Development with Steven Cramer of University of North Carolina Greensboro
- The Important Role Librarians Play in Supporting Local Entrepreneurs and Small Businesses with Ginny Sterpka of Libraries as Launchpads
- Entrepreneur Academy: Moving Public Libraries from Job Fill to Job Creation with Julie Brophy, Baltimore County Public Library, Adult & Community Engagement, Manager and Wesley Wilson, Enoch Pratt Free Library, Maryland State Library Resource Center, Chief
- Community Connections
- Connecting the Dots with Tom Vitale of Patterson Library Westfield, NY
- Ask, Listen, Act with Amber Williams of Spokane County Library District
- Mind the Gap: Connecting Academic Libraries and Campus Communities with Nancy Kranich of Rutgers University School of Communication and Information
- Disaster Preparedness and Recovery
- Disaster Preparedness with Annie Peterson of LYRASIS
- Disaster Recovery with Tom Clareson of LYRASIS
- Mental Health and Disasters: Resources for Recovery and Resiliency with Darcy Abbott, Florida Disaster Recovery Mental Health Coordinator
Each track will present three 45-minute webinars. Attendees may follow one track exclusively, or choose from among the topics. All sessions will also be recorded for later viewing.