Date(s) - 01/09/2019 - 01/25/2019
Fort Walton Beach Public Library
This two-part training will help both those new to cataloging and those who have been cataloging for a while. The prerequisite webinar will help make sense of the alphabet soup language of cataloging, and the workshop will get down to the nitty-gritty of real-world cataloging.
Webinar: January 9, 2019, from 1 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. CT (2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. ET) — The webinar will break down all those pesky cataloging acronyms such as MARC, BIBFRAME, RDA, AACR2, OPAC, and FRBR into real-world language.
Please attend or view the webinar recording before the workshop.
Workshop: January 25, 2019, from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. CT (10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. ET) at the Fort Walton Beach Public Library. In this one day workshop, participants will be involved in discussions and exercises throughout the class. Participants will be provided handouts, resource materials, examples of records to review, and exercises.
CATALOGING 101 CURRICULUM & AGENDA
9 AM – 10:30 AM
- Cataloging as Service: Introduction to cataloging focused on the public service aspect of cataloging from FRBR User Tasks to how cataloging serves our patrons.
10:30 AM – 10:45 AM Morning Break
10:45 AM – 11:45 AM
- Building the Foundation — MARC: Understanding the MARC fields and tags, the impact indicators on searching and display of the OPAC, the difference between a bibliographic record and an authority record.
11:45 AM – 12:00 PM
- MARC Group Exercises – Lightning round!
12 PM – 1 PM Lunch
1 PM – 2:30 PM
- Keeping it Real: What makes for a “Good Record?” Tips for evaluating records including the differences between AACR2, RDA, and RDA hybrid records, how to determine treatment (when records for the same title have different treatments, such as serial vs. book), and how to search more effectively in OCLC so that you find the best and most accurate record. We’ll talk about CatExpress, too.
- Is this a Good Record? Game
2:30 AM -2:45 AM Afternoon Break
2:45 PM – 3:30 PM
- Best Practices: Can you enrich that record? Should you choose a different record? Can’t you just copy and paste from another record? Can you control subject headings? SHOULD you control subject headings? How do you do quality control? What (free) resources are available to help you? We’ll explore online tools and resources including specially curated resources by Robin Fay!
3:30 PM – 4:00 PM
- Putting it All Together: Exercises
4:00 PM – 4:30 PM
- Review & Resources
Breakfast and lunch are on your own — there are lots of restaurants near the library.
Register For This Event
If you already have an account with us, you need to log in first (by using the login form below - to the right)
Registration is closed for this event.