Welcome to our space!

The purpose of PLAN’s Forums are to facilitate discussions on topics of professional interest to library staff. All library staff are invited to use the forums. For more information, see: About the Forums

Home Forums Special Libraries & Special Collections Welcome to our space!

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  William Robson 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Jacki Wilson

The majority of the PLAN members are lending libraries. I suspect most of our Special Libraries are different, none of the materials can leave the premises. My archive does allow scans and photocopies and we welcome all researchers.

I would love to hear from you and how your library works.

Laura Moree

I am head of our library’s (Bay County Public Library) special collection, which has a local (Bay County) collecting focus. We do, also, collect small artifacts, photographs, books on Florida topics, and genealogy. We are, for the most part, open stacks for patrons to come in and browse and search. I love how accessible we are to not just academic researchers but to everyone – school children, people killing time, genealogists, reporters, etc. We also do not allow checkouts of our materials, but we encourage scans, photocopies, and pictures. We don’t charge for conducting research and we only charge for copies printed. Thanks for asking this question! 🙂

Jacki Wilson

Hello, Imoree:

Thank you for telling us about the Bay County special collection. I visited your library and special collection department when our archive donated a set of aerial maps of Bay County to your library a year ago. I like to place items where I believe people will think to look for them and I do not expect many people to come to us looking for Bay County materials.

It is great that your special collections is a part of the main library, making it so simple for people to stop in and look around.

Hi to all!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.