Through PLAN, member libraries receive training in advocating for their libraries and support for advocacy at the regional, state, and national levels. PLAN also partners with other organizations to advocate for our libraries.
MyFloridaLibrary.com was created by Florida’s Multitype Library Cooperatives (MLCs) as a way to share library users’ stories about how essential libraries are to Florida’s communities. Postcards are available to collect patron stories, which are then sent to legislators. Contact the PLAN office to receive a supply of postcards.
Partners in Advocacy
- Florida Library Association (FLA) Advocacy
- American Library Association (ALA) Office for Library Advocacy
Florida State Government
- The Florida Senate
- Senate Appropriations Subcommittee on Transportation, Tourism, and Economic Development — the Senate committee whose budget includes library funding
- The Florida House of Representatives
- House Transportation & Economic Development Appropriations Subcommittee — the House committee whose budget includes library funding
The Value of Libraries
- Taxpayer Return on Investment in Florida Public Libraries
- Personal Savings Calculator — What is Your Library Worth to You?
- How Americans Value Public Libraries in Their Communities
- Quotable Facts About America’s Libraries
- Pew Research Center’s Advocacy Tools for Librarians — a series of reports presenting new research on library services, trends in reading habits and patron needs in the digital age
- How to Address Elected Officials — names, titles, and forms of address for elected federal, state, and municipal officials
- Save The Libraries.org — a project to advocate for community support for libraries
- Sayfie Review — an online news publication focusing on Florida politics
- District Dispatch – an online news publication of the ALA’s Washington Office
- I Love Libraries – an ALA initiative to keep Americans informed about what’s going on in today’s libraries
- Three Minutes to Advocate at a Public Meeting – An example of speaking on behalf of our libraries at a public meeting